Gypsy & DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!

on

At The Palliser
My longest running friend/sister, Shannon, and I had a long overdue date on Monday night starting off with appetizers at Gypsy Bistro-Wine Bar followed by Fairmont Palliser's Death By Chocolate buffet they put on every Monday evening from 5:30 -9 pm for $28/person including coffee, tea or juice. What a perfect date for my expectant bestie! One downfall to Gypsy, located kiddy croner to the Palliser, is that they do not have their menu online so I harassed the maitre d a number of times about specific menu items since Shannon is 5 months pregnant. They are a bit behind in the curve this way and hopefully they will post their menu online soon! I was offered tickets to the Death By Chocolate event by Twitter friend and fellow blogger Home to Heather. The event took place to gain awareness about the smart new app "shopcatch" which informs consumers of in-store shopping deals offered by major retailers at your favorite malls across Canada. Shopcatch can locate deals nearest you via GPS, keep track of and save mobile coupons, share deals with friends and family and customize your deals according to where you like to shop. Shannon and I are very experienced shoppers ourselves so we found this app to be a great idea. We had a great time and it was nice to meet some of the "Tweeple" I have only met virtually and put a face to the name. Here are some photos of our fun night :)
We didn't want to be too full for our chocolate FEAST so we both had a bowl of the mushroom and roasted garlic soup which was quite good. We were worried the garlic might be overpowering but it was really subtle. The mushrooms were ground up which was interesting- good but sometimes I like the texture of a big mushroom to gnaw on.
We ordered these "Cajun shrimp" which were a bit disappointing for Shannon who just arrived back from MAUI! Obviously you can't compare Calgary seafood to somewhere coastal but these were really small and had a crunchy, over cooked layer on the bottom of them. They reminded me of the frozen shrimp I buy at Safeway. I wouldn't order these again.
THIS amazing dish is the reason I suggested Gypsy. I remember having this brie a few months back and have never forgotten how delicious it was omggg.. Brie wrapped in phyllo dough with a mango salsa and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. TO DIE FOR! I could have eaten three of these to myself. I think it would be even BETTER if it was served with toasted crostini instead of the basket of bread that you get when you sit down. NUM who doesn't love melted brie with some type of fruit ?
The chocolate BEGINS! Chocolate tarts, mousse and creme brulee
To the left: chocolate cheesecake. One of the BEST things on the entire buffet. The martini glass in the middle had profiteroles or cream puffs but they were SO disappointing shockingly. Dry and barely no cream inside. At the top is a banana chocolate cake and to the bottom right a white chocolate and mandarin orange tart.
Bottom center: CHOCOLATE PIZZA! Black forest cake, chocolate chocolate CHOCOLATE!
Dark & White chocolate mousse glasses. I love the crunch tiny malt balls on the top. Where can I get a BAG of those?
Love the detail that is taken for each dessert :)
Preggers at the chocolate fountain! ;)
This was EASILY one of the best items on the buffet- warm chocolate bread pudding.. OMGGGG
Fancy!!!
How delightful! Little baby cones filled with chocolate mousse and those crunchy things I love! NOTE TO SELF: Do not give preggers 'a bite'.. She ate the rest of it whole *WEEP* HAHAHA
Mini amaretto cheesecakes
The carnage

0 comments:

Post a Comment