Selkirk Grille at Heritage Park

on

What a great weekend!!! I SERIOUSLY needed a really great day off and I was super happy to get it on Saturday with my family and James. I was supposed to have a trade show all day followed by an evening show but everything fell through and James suggested a trip to Heritage Park's "Once Upon a Christmas" with my rents. What an awesome day! The weather was gorgeous and we were running around like kids from the candy shop to the bakery to the Christmas decorations! I highly recommend you check this out if you haven't been yet. We listened to carolers and got to pet reindeer. Did I mention it was our BINGE DAY?!?! First indulgences included 5 cent candy and old fashioned classics from the candy store followed by freshly baked cookies and butter tarts from the bakery... Moaning did ensue. James and I were like monkeys with machine guns and my parents got a real kick out of it. For lunch I made reservations at Heritage Park's new Selkirk Grille which has Canadian favorites such as short rib poutine and a really great menu. We had an awesome lunch and here is what we ate:
To start we split the "Crispy Squid" with a warm tomato eggplant dipping sauce for $12. This was quite yummy and we liked the dipping sauce
Being that it was binge day we also decided to indulge in some straight up carbs and dairy. We chose the "Canadian Cheese Fondue" which was raclette and gruyere cheese with dry Riesling and Sherry with brioche bread, apples and candied walnuts for $13. The cheese in this dish was amazing but I think I would have preferred the bread toasted or more of a crostini. The bread wasn't fresh enough to be served untoasted in my opinion.
I always have to take photos of my mother's food first because she is so impatient with my picture taking haha. She chose the ginger honey glazed duck confit with wild mushroom risotto and green beans for $17. I was impressed that there were no entrees over $20 for lunch. Very reasonable.
My dad and James had the Selkirk burger for $16 which was so good. The beef was Alberta ground chuck and had a really great flavor. The fries were homemade too... yum!
I chose the pear and gorgonzola flatbread for $17 with mozzarella, candied walnuts and fresh arugula. I couldn't taste too well so it was okay but my damn tasters were not working! I think I would have liked the pears to be thin slices instead of wedges texturally.
Loved how they served our cappuccinos in vintage tea cups :)
What would a nice lunch be without dessert?! We had the lemon chiffon creme brulee.
If you haven't been to Heritage Park to check out their new digs you should really make a trip! Gasoline Alley is pretty awesome including a brewery section and some great new shops. You can find 50% off vouchers for "Once Upon a Christmas" at most Safeway stores. We had a great lunch as well although we were a bit disappointed at the end- I had a $65 Open Table gift certificate which are supposed to be accepted at ALL Open Table restaurants but the manager argued with me for some time until finally giving in. Her loss really, it kind of soured a great meal with good service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment