Pumpkin Gingerbread

on

What to do with those left over jack-o-lanterns? Throw them in the garbage?! What a waste of compost... and even better- pumpkin puree! Did you know that half of all garbage dumps is organic waste? This really bugs me.. We have been composting for around three years and have never looked back. The soil that we get from composting is literally black gold and we barely have a bag of garbage every week. I find it difficult cooking in other people's homes and throwing egg shells and organic waste in the garbage now. We even throw our coffee filters full of coffee grinds away and random paper products as this also composts great. Do you think I would be the weird "eco girl" if I brought my own composter bag and took the organic waste that I create doing my Pampered Chef shows?! I notice that nearly NONE of them compost. I make a few recipes that use a dozen eggs and that always drives me crazy.. I blame James- he is Mr. Recycler 2011 so our bin is always over flowing.
Even though he is a recycle nut I WAS pretty damn surprised to start getting photos from him via e-mail of him recycling our pumpkins for pumpkin puree... In fact I was horrified! "You can't do that! But... but we used them already.. we can compost them". It took him the better part of the day but he roasted the pumpkin, scooped out its flesh and pureed it to make the BEST pumpkin gingerbread EVER! Here are some photos and the recipe!
Good bye Jack
Roasting away
Not so scary anymore... Pumpkins completed roasting!
Scraping for pulp
Pumpkin puree for me to use at a later date :)
Here is the recipe for the Pumpkin Gingerbread he found on allrecipes.com... I would suggest using around 2 cups of sugar instead of three though. It does make it more like a dessert with the 3 whole cups of sugar though... Mmmm:

Ingredients

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large mixing, combine sugar, oil and eggs; beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Stir in pumpkin, ginger, allspice cinnamon, and clove.
  3. In medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between prepared pans.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour.
Before... The easy part!
Mmmmmm... :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment