Mango & Strawberry Cobbler

on

YumMmM happy Monday! Sorry I have been off the map lately- it is my busiest time of year with Pampered Chef so it feels like I am literally working two full time jobs. Oy! Super fun though! It was so nice to have an extended long weekend with Remembrance Day. I took time on Friday to cook for James since I haven't been home much. I had a ripe mango and some strawberries and found this great recipe from one of my favorite celebrity chef's: Michael Smith. It turned out SO damn good! I thought grating butter would be weird but it actually worked out really well and much easier than using a pastry blender to get that "pea like" consistency for the topping. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

The Filling

  • 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries (I used frozen)
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen mango
  • 1/2 cup cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

The Topping

  • 1 cup flour (I used whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal (I didn't have any cornmeal so I used oat bran. Worked great!)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 stick stick butter, frozen
  • 1/2 cup milk

Directions

The Filling

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Place fruit into a large bowl and toss well with the flour, sugar and lemon juice.
  3. Pour into a 2-quart ovenproof casserole or other dish.
  4. It is best if the fruit fills the dish but doesn't rise above the edges.

The Topping

  1. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Grate in frozen butter and mix lightly with fingertips.
  2. Pour in milk and stir until mixture comes together and forms a rough dough.
  3. Place spoonfuls of the dough on top of the fruit evenly covering it.
  4. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, about 45 minutes.
  5. Serve warm.
Love the colors
Once the fruit was covered in sugar and flour and spread in my baking dish
Grated butter in the topping portion
Before popping in the oven!

0 comments:

Post a Comment