The Libertine Public House

on

The "paddle of beer" James ordered with your choice of three unique beers for $9
James and I were picking up my car from downtown holiday Monday and in the mood for some pub grub so we stumbled into The Libertine which has been built in the location of the old King Henry that was a Stephen Ave staple for decades. From Libertine's website: "The Libertine Public House is a casually hip modern pub located on the Stephen Avenue Walk in the Core of downtown Calgary". Situated above "Below Deck", a maritime pub that opened about six months before The Libertine, this funky ale house focuses on classic pub fare done "their way". The patio and pub itself have been bopping during lunch hour so I was excited to try this place out. Nothing on the menu really popped out for me to order but there are some really interesting features such as Roast Marrow Bones as an appetizer, fried chickpeas to start or how about a whole roast pig for $400?! What an idea this is! The pig serves 20 and The Libertine will need 5 days notice of your feast.. I think that would make for a very fun and unusual birthday party... HMMMM! The staff was really friendly and here is what we had on our hungover Monday!:
We started with a few deviled eggs that had ale mayo, sundried tomato, red pepper, dijon and bacon bits inside. What is more comforting than deviled eggs?! These guys were $5.50 and I was pumped to see them on the menu.
James ordered the "Beer Belly" flat bread for $14 which he somehow thought was an open-faced sandwich!? Silly boy does he know who he is married to? haha... This homemade flat bread had diced pork belly, beer syrup, rosemary, garlic, red pepper, parsley and mozzarella on a thick base. I wasn't a huge fan of this and neither was he unfortunately because it was a bit too "doughy" but the table next to us had the margherita flat bread and that looked AWESOME! There are also a selection of 6 dippers you can order alongside your flat bread and James chose the jalapeno ranch which was yummy.
Mmmm.. I DEFINITELY ordered the RIGHT thing!!! I love homemade fries... Homemade fries soaked in beef dip jus is even better. These hand cut fries were extremely flavorful and cooked to perfection. I could eat an entire plate of just the fries which says a lot considering I am not a huge fry person unless the moment is right. The sandwich is the Jerk Chicken for $13 made out of shredded boneless thigh, chopped lettuce, tomato and a mango chutney. The best part for me was the bun!!! I am not a huge fan of bread and this thin soft/crunchy ciabatta was pure heaven for me. I would order this again!
Check out The Libertine for some pub grub or even a pig roast! I really enjoyed people watching on Stephen's Ave through their huge windows and the cozy decor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment