Brasserie

on

There are few things I enjoy more than a relaxing brunch at a restaurant I have never dined at before. After a few really busy weeks of working full time and Pampered Chef galore I decided to treat my hubby to a nice brunch out on Sunday :) ... I have read a lot about "Brasserie" located in Kensington right above Wine Bar at 1131 Kensington Road NW and was excited to try their brunch! Brasserie, Wine Bar, Muse and AKA Wine Bar are all owned by the same group and Brasserie specializes in French cuisine and is famous for their frites (fries) fried in 100% Brome Lake duck fat and their foi gras poutine! Don't know what foie gras is? From Wiki: Foie gras is the liver of duck or goose that has been specially fattened. This French delicacy is rich and has the consistency of butter. Although we didn't consume any foie gras for our brunch that Brasserie serves Saturdays and Sundays from 10 am - 2 pm, we did have a delicious meal. I don't normally comment on service unless it is superior or lacking but the staff at Brasserie were more than accommodating and really made our breakfast a special. Super nice people and we will be back! Here is what we dined on:
We started with the cheese and caramelized onion loaf served with clarified butter for $4.25. I was secretly hoping for some nice caramelized onion on top but this was pretty good for the price and I used it to sop up some of my egg yolk.
I decided on the "Croque-Madame" which is a French open faced sandwich with farm ham, grainy mustard, gruyère and fried egg on top for $13.75... MMM this was SO good. The French bread that it was served on was super fresh and the flavor or grainy mustard,  gruyère  and ham was so comforting. The egg was cooked perfectly and I was impressed with the tasty salad it was served with. The side salad had a really yummy honey balsamic dressing and went nicely with my meal. They also feature a "Croque-Monsieur" on their menu which is the same open faced concept minus the fried egg for $12.75
How pretty is this presentation? James chose the eggs benedict with sausage with fried potatoes on the side. He unfortunately forgot to ask for his eggs to be hard as he HATES runny egg yolk but he really loved the sausage and French bread the eggs were served on. His only complaint was that the portion was not big enough and he did leave a little hungry which was unfortunate. A few more potatoes would have been appreciated or even a few more slices of sausage to fill him up.
I am dying to check out a few more talked about brunch spots such as:
Diner Deluxe... I can't believe I haven't checked out this retro diner yet!
Dairy Lane Cafe... Classic breakfast with a casual atmosphere in NW Calgary 
River Cafè... I have dined here for lunch many times but can't wait to try the elk bacon!
Laurier Lounge... Located in the historic "Stanley House" and famous for its brunch and fondue

0 comments:

Post a Comment