The sunlight on the garden

on

easter 2011 181

They say that nostalgia is no longer what it used to be but I've never found that to be the case. Waking up each morning and opening the curtains to discover the first rays of sunlight on the grass, watching the squirrels run across the branches of the oak tree outside the kitchen, seeing the hawthorn break or reading in the shadow of the apple tree in blossom, it felt as if I was discovering these places for the first time and had never experienced the spring before. Growing up, the landscape around me appeared tired and familiar and I took its beauty for granted; perhaps it's because of the miserable, wet spring of last year which robbed me of this magic or because I live in a city but I finally realised how much these places mean to me, that they awaken something deep inside that cannot be fully expressed. Some nights when I was awake, I would look down at the garden, silent in the moonlight and wish I could go outside to explore just like the character in Tom Midnight Garden, one of my favourite childhood books.

I returned to the Cromford Canal, the grandeur of Kedleston Hall and Lea Gardens with its stunning rhododendren whose rich colours suggest more Mexico than England and where I wandered further and further into woodland. Most wonderful of all though were the bluebell woods, a spot known only to a few where I've been going since my childhood. As a girl I gathered masses of dandelion clocks, blowing the seeds away into the breeze and I could follow in the traces of my own footsteps along the path into the woods with my eyes closed because I know it so well. Yet nothing really prepares you for the delicate perfume of those special flowers, impossible to describe or the sight of the blue carpet rolled out in front of you.

***

Dear readers, I'm so sorry for being away for so long and want to thank you all for the lovely comments and messages I've received. Somehow being back in Derbyshire made me want to go exploring, rather than sit in front of the computer so I hope you can forgive me. I'm also hopelessly out of touch with others blogs and have missed reading you so I'll be taking some time this week to catch up. Take care.

easter 2011 028

Mingus

easter 2011 043

Beneath the apple tree

easter 2011 038

easter 2011 078

Jasper

easter 2011 111

easter 2011 113

easter 2011 191

easter 2011 289

easter 2011 328

Bild 012

Oscar, enjoying the evening sun

Bild 019

Bild 020

Bild 030


Bild 055

In the bluebell woods

Bild 065

Bild 104

Bild 126

The wonderful flowers at Lea gardens

Bild 138

Bild 351

Bild 364

Bild 366

Bild 386

Bild 388


Bild 401

Bild 404

Bild 407

In the grounds of Kedleston Hall

Bild 417

Bild 422

Bild 433

Archery contest

Bild 444

Kedleston Hall

Bild 492

The hawthorn in bloom

Bild 495


One of the nicest things was also having plenty of time for breakfast every day. Lecia posted this recipe for baked oatmeal on her beautiful blog (from Heidi Swanson's new book which I ordered yesterday). I used fresh blueberries and found it to be one of the most delicious and comforting breakfasts I've ever had.

easter 2011 017

0 comments:

Post a Comment