Mama's Potato Salad!

on

What says summer more than potato salad? YUM! We had a dinner party on Saturday night and I thought this would be a perfect side. It is one of James' favorites and my mom's tried and true easy recipe. The trick is to not overcook the potatoes and let them go starchy like you would for mashed potatoes. Here is our family recipe:
Ingredients:
8-9 potatoes, peeled and boiled until fork tender but not falling apart
5 stalks celery
3 hard boiled eggs
3 green onions, tops included
1 Tbs. dried mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
Mayonnaise until salad is the moist consistency you would like: similar to making a tuna sandwich
Directions:
1. Peel and boil potatoes until fork tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Potatoes should be cooked through and not too starchy... Drain and let cool with lid half on: if you leave the lid off while potatoes are cooling they will turn black.
2. Boil eggs and let sit until cooled down. Once potatoes & eggs cooled slice potatoes into bite sized pieces and chop eggs into cubes.
While I was making the potato salad James and I were also gardening! We are SO excited for our garden this year since we finally have the fence done.. Gardening is one of my favorite past times.. Here is what we planted. I will post some before/after photos- the flowers always grow up so big and spread out more :D
Front tree garden box. Some of these are bulbs that have sprung up (around the tree trunk) and some are ones that I got at Home Depot. I love buying my flowers there because I find the staff really knowledgeable.
I decided to switch it up this year and do a yellow, orange and red theme. I can't wait for more of these to bloom but there are red/yellow Indian paintbrushes, rainbow begonias, some wave petunias (always get SO big) and in the back row we rotated between corn and sunflowers and grew them from seeds. Hope they turn out and grow really big!
Close up!
James' adorable veggie garden... :D
MOUSE vs. CAT! We found a family of mice living in our compost... Our cats are not the best mousers and way too domesticated. They tried to play with these guys instead of eat them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment