It's my BiRtHdAy

on

Often referred to as the "birthday nazi"... I LOVE BIRTHDAYS!!! My birthdays normally last between 10-14 days on average and my husband HATES IT! *evil cackle*... Dinners and celebrations and parties and gifts.. and most importantly... FOOD!!! Last night one of my best friends took me to a brand new restaurant called "Stonehill Restaurant and Tavern" that just opened up in the north in the old "Flight Deck" location. This restaurant was opened by Vintage Group who also own Bookers, Vintage Chophouse, Redwater Grill, RUSH, and Rise Bakery. The main feature in this new restaurant is a wine cooler that is 2.5 stories high and can be accessed via a genie lift! Which I was lucky enough to go up in! This beautiful wine cooler which is chilled is the centerpiece of the restaurant and the woodwork is amazing. They apparently had to take 150 TV's out of the top level and 130 out of the bottom... The old Flight Deck went a little overboard...
The staff was amazingly friendly.. Probably because one of them is my neighbor and great friend.. We had complimentary shots (I'm feeling it today)... and lots of laughs. Here is what we dined on:
Thanks for a super fun night out!!!! I am going to try Stonehill again when they perfect their menu. You have to check out the wine cooler- truly unique!
We started with the pork tacos as my date doesn't eat seafood... Will have to revisit again because some of their appy's sounded delicious with sea life in it. These were... Disappointing to me. Really dry and the pork was pretty tough. I told the waiter they would be better with some type of aioli to moisten them up.
My date got the 10 oz. New York strip for $31. The potatoes were *HEAVENLY*.. The carrots were also really delicious and I loved the herbed butter on top of the steak. The "gravy" was more like an au jus but equally delicious. Unfortunately my date ordered it medium well so it was too well done for me but it was SO flavorful... Even if it was burnt by my Albertan standards ;)
This was the fettucini with lamb ragout (ragout refers to preparation involving slow cooking over a low heat) with red onion in a garlic cream sauce.... I was disappointed in this dish as well... I asked the waitress if it was a cream sauce and she said it was but it was more like an olive oil. I didn't really like the flavor of it all around.
This cheesecake was DELICIOUS! True blue, baked New York style cheesecake and it looked great too! Wasn't sure what the little cheese slice looking things were though... Tasted like sugar.
Thanks for a super fun night out!!!! I am going to try Stonehill again when they perfect their menu. You have to check out the wine cooler- truly unique!
Don't these look dandy? I'll take TWO!

0 comments:

Post a Comment