River Café

on

My parents are on "staycation" right now and decided to meet me downtown for lunch. I wanted to take them somewhere really good that showed off what the downtown core has to offer for food.. We decided on River Café due to its beautiful location on Prince's Island Park and the food is normally incredible.

From the get-go I could tell that our waitress was a bit of a space cadet... Very slow and inattentive... Besides the service the food was really good... We decided on the special of the day for an appetizer: homemade perogies with caramelized onions and a dill creme fresh (creme fresh is pretty much sour cream.. in fancy terms normally made by hand) ... YUMMM.. These were some of the BEST perogies all of us had ever had... only complaint was that we wanted a platter of them. The onions were so sweet and the dill creme fresh went perfectly with the potato interior of these delicious morsels. 

For an entree my dad decided on the bison pastrami on rye which came with a horseradish mayo and potato wedges for $18. Unfortunately being that the pastrami was that of buffalo's it was EXTREMELY dry as bison is a really lean meat. He ended up dipping his sandwich in the aioli that came with the potato wedges. 

My mom and I both had flat breads aka. wood fired pizzas in this case... I had the zucchini flat bread with olives and buffalo mozzarella... It was a tasty pizza but all in all a bit bland and I wouldn't order it again. I wasn't a fan of the pizza sauce either which tasted like plain Prego pasta sauce or something. 

My mom noshed on the chicken al fresco flat bread that had stewed tomatoes, smoked gouda and stewed tomatoes on it. It was a bit more flavorful and hearty than my selection.

All in all it was a great visit with my parents... The perogies were great but other  than that I fell that the lunch menu fell short and I had to knock some heads together to get good service... Better luck next time River Café!

Food FaNaTiC Rating: 6/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment