Feast fit for a KING!!!

on

Happy Monday everyone! Hope that you had a good weekend... They always seem to fly don't they? I thought I would post two of my favorite recipes for when guests come over. I always have a hard time thinking of what to cook for a nice dinner party and these two recipes always knock their socks off! I made roasted rack of lamb last night and a mushroom cream sauce pasta for dinner for my family and they FREAKED! The sauce takes a while but is SOOO worth it... This recipe is actually from the amazing Italian restaurant, Da Guido, on Center Street. Try this Italian Restaurant for a taste of some of the best Italian in the city. My good friend and chef, Aman Adatia, taught me this recipe and it is a crowd favorite:
Da Guido's Mushroom Cream Sauce
Saute in a pan:
1/2 cup butter
5-8 cloves minced garlic
2 shallots, finely chopped1 hot chili, finely chopped
1/2 lb. - 1 lb. coursely chopped brown mushroomsCook until mushrooms are caramelized and the butter is absorbed... About 20-30 minutes..
Next- "De-glaze" the pan with about 2 cups of dry white wine such as a Chardonnay. Stir on low-medium heat until all of the moisture is absorbed.

Add 1 Liter of heavy cream such as whipping cream.. Bring to a low boil and stir until thickened- about 25-30 minutes. Salt to taste (2 Tbs. approximately) and serve with any type of pasta you choose such as a large shell pasta or last night I made it with rigatoni. Once the pasta is boiled al dente (cooked enough to be firm but not hard) drain and toss with sauce and fresh chopped Italian parsley... This sauce will be remembered for a long time!!!!
Rack of Lamb:
I made this for James the first Valentine's we were together and he always asks me to make it.. He didn't even like lamb before trying this tender and delicious recipe!

1 rack of lamb, Frenched (most of the time the rack will come Frenched but you can ask your butcher at your local grocery store to do this if not. "Frenching" essentially means the meat is cut off between the rack and the bone near the filets is removed. Please see below photo) General rule of thumb is 4-5 ribs per person. I always just say to the butcher "I am having a dinner party for 6, what size of rack will I need?" and they will know how much to cut you. The BEST place to find rack of lamb is Costco, it is the cheapest and most readily available... Grocery stores tend to be a bit overpriced. A good price for a rack is $19.99... I splurged and paid $46 last night for 6 of us but try to hit up a local butcher or Costco, they will be your best bets :)

Take the rack and generously rub in a lot of salt and pepper. Set a frying pan on the stove that can go into the oven or tinfoil the handle to ensure oven safe cooking. Heat the frying pan on high and add some olive oil. Sear each rack for approximately 2 minutes per side to get a nice crust. Then place the rack interlaced (see below photo) in the frying pan and cook for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.After 15 minutes remove from the oven and tent with tinfoil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. This will ensure the juices do not all run out when you carve the rack by in between each bone. You will not BELIEVE how most and delicious this lamb is!!! The salt and pepper creates a really tasty crust and the lamb will be perfectly cooked.. In my opinion this is easier than cooking Hamburger Helper but it looks SO FANCY!!!!!

This recipe would be great for a date night or a dinner party... Happy Cooking and good luck!!! I know you can do these two recipes- I couldn't even boil an egg when I made my first rack of lamb and it turned out perfectly! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment