WEST Restaurant and Bar

on


WEST Restaurant and Bar just opened up last week in Scotia Center downtown, and I can already see that it is going to be a HUGE hit!!! There are not many restaurants around this area and certainly not any that feature a hopping night life! This restaurant is enormous with seven bars, three huge levels and the largest rooftop patio in Canada! The lower level features an open kitchen concept on the +15 level with a variety of lux seating options. The second level is on the +30 level and features several private rooms, a chef's table and some beautiful light fixtures and fancy "faux forest" looking glass. The rooftop patio is expected to open at the beginning of June- right in time for Stampede!
I was very impressed with the staff at West... They have had friendly waitresses in the +15's for weeks before its grand opening handing out coupons and answering any questions. The manager, JP, also gave me his direct cell phone number should I ever need reservations at the last minute for a client! I couldn't believe it! West is advertising their new restaurant and bar as "Calgary's corporate playground" and I can see why... This new restaurant has The Metropolitan-esque night life written all over it! The third level features a DJ booth and large area for dancing.
I decided to choose WEST's "signature dish", the crab cake mac n' cheese for $15. On my quest for the "best mac n' cheese" in Calgary I was VERY excited for my entree to arrive. The macaroni itself was VERY flavorful, rich and delicious. I really loved the flavor and texture of the noodles. For some reason I am not a HUGE fan of crab cakes?! I adore crab and cake but this particular one was a little bit too "tomatoey" for my liking and I could not really taste any of the crab itself. Although I really enjoyed this dish I was finished long before my guests were and was still a bit hungry... I think WEST should skip the crab cake, add more lump crab and pasta to this dish and it would be divine!!!
My guest dined on the baseball steak with steak fries and seasonal vegetables. The steak was a bit undercooked but VERY flavorful and delicious. I really liked the fries as well which reminded me of New York Fries/Swiss Chalet fries wherein they use older potatoes for more flavor. They also had a great seasoning on them which adding a lot of flavor but not too salty. For $22 this made a great lunch.

What I really liked about the menu was the variety of unique options to choose from! Items such as sake soy spring salmon tenderloin, a melting pot of parmesan & boursin fondue and AAA Alberta short rib rigatoni.

Unfortunately no one was hungry for dessert but me and I know that next time I will be sampling the PB & J cheesecake which features a peanut butter crust and raspberry compote on top... *YUMMM*

I recommend this new hot spot for a fun night out or a delicious lunch/dinner!!! Ask for a tour when you arrive to see what the unique space is all about!

FOOD RATING: 9/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment